Friday, January 18, 2013

A Straw Bale Adventure


My Straw Bale Adventure....

This project was a labor of love.  A fully permitted structure built as post and beam with straw bale in-fill for the walls.  

One of the interior photos shows the 'cob' (clay, sand and straw mixture) shelves.  These were fun and very strong.  When they were dry, I could stand on them.  They were created by piercing bamboo into the seams of the stacked bales and 'cobbling' around the bamboo.




I learned a lot along the way and it took a couple of years to complete.  With the support of friends and family the project was well worth the wait.  The earthen plaster and earthen floor were probably the most difficult areas.  The recipes were not an exact science and the long term effects were unknown.
This is my largest creation to-date and I'm hopeful that I'll be able to create another within my lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment